Re: Need Recomendations for good Oracle 9i books

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 08:23:19 -0000

Ignore the number 9 - it's a minor detail; you need a book that helps you appreciate the differences in infrastructure, not the feature set.

The only good book on the market for this is Tom Kyte's "Expert one-on-one: Oracle" from Wrox press.

Read the first couple of chapters very carefully where he highlights particularly the consequences of applying methods from one technology whilst designing for another technology.

Second best for appreciating how to do things with Oracle is probably my books -
Practical Oracle 8i.

But in any case, make sure you read the
Concepts Manual - which you can get
online at tahiti.oracle.com

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon one-day tutorials:
Cost Based Optimisation
Trouble-shooting and Tuning
Indexing Strategies
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )

____UK_______March 19th
____USA_(FL)_May 2nd

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Mike wrote in message ...

>Anyone have good recs for books on 9i? I am coming from a SQL Server
>2000 background. I understand database design, but I need a book on
>Oracle such as:
>
>-How everything is organized (schemas, tables, procedures, etc)
>-Basic tasks such as creating users, roles, tables
>-Backup and restore
>
>I am confident I can design the tables, relations, views, stored
>procedures, choose indexes, etc - I am doing that now.
Unfortunately,