Re: Need Recomendations for good Oracle 9i books

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2003 16:35:14 +1100

 Mike> Anyone have good recs for books on 9i?  I am coming from a SQL
 Mike> Server 2000 background.  I understand database design, but I
 Mike> need a book on Oracle such as:

 Mike> -How everything is organized (schemas, tables, procedures, etc)
 Mike> -Basic tasks such as creating users, roles, tables -Backup and  Mike> restore
 Mike> I am confident I can design the tables, relations, views,
 Mike> stored procedures, choose indexes, etc - I am doing that now.
 Mike> Unfortunately, I do not know how to do things like performance
 Mike> testing, backup/restore, etc.

 Mike> SQL Server is so much simpler in terms of how things are stored
 Mike> that it made a little more sense to me, but I really want to
 Mike> learn Oracle 9i for this project, and I've been tasked with it
 Mike> along side our other DBA.  Unfortunately, apparently he just
 Mike> learned 9i through osmosis because he has no good books to  Mike> recommend.

 Mike> Any advice?

 Mike> Also, a good concise book on PL/SQL programming would be nice.  Mike> So I guess I am looking for two books...

The Oracle documentation is pretty good - start with the Oracle Concepts guid. All of the documentation is available on-line at http://docs.oracle.com. There is also a docs search engine at http://tahiti.oracle.com.

A really goo dbook is tom Kyte's Expert One-on-one Oracle, published by Wrox Press.

Tim

--
Tim Cross