Re: I still don't understand the database concept but

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:09:22 -0600

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:11:38 -0000, "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:

>"Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com> wrote in message
>> That is a possibility though most locations I have talked to have not
>> converted yet. On UNIX I would look for the oratab file to see what
>> was in it. On an NT system there is probably something similar, and
>> you can look at the task manager to see what is running. The problem
>> would be finding defined but not started instances and their
>> databases. The Oracle home structure itself might provide clues
>> especially if an OFA style structure was followed.
>
>On an NT system each database will have an associated service
>oracleservice<sidname> which will be started or not.

Which could reliably be found in the registry, assuming you're working in a language that allows you call the Windows API to read the registry. I've done it in VB and Cobol. It seems like I might have done it in ObjectRexx as well, but I don't remember for sure on that one. Received on Fri Feb 21 2003 - 10:09:22 CST