Re: ORA-4030

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:36:07 +0100

On 21 Feb 2003 19:45:51 GMT, Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net> wrote:

>Unfortunately I cannot set it at the session level
>in the production code as we don't have the source code for the app.

Sure you can set it at session level. In 8i, just create an after-logon trigger, have a few execute immediate in the trigger code and you can do anything you want

as to sort_area_size:
quite likely the memory is allocated using c malloc calls. There is a similar call to deallocate the memory. On most O/S-es, Windows being no exception, the memory *is* de-allocated using this call, but it isn't freed from the working set, you just can't reach it anymore. I have seen someone (don't remember who) advising against decreasing sort_area_retained_size, as ultimately the memory would be paged out anyway, whether you release it, or have the O/S do it for you.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Feb 21 2003 - 15:36:07 CST