Re: installing oracle 8i on sol 9

From: John Kachurick <jokach_at_epix.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:43:53 GMT

First I would start by considering using the OFA model that Oracle recommends (check the web or metalink). I would probably consider doing something like this:

/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7 - would be your ORACLE_HOME where the binaries would be installed

/u01/app/oracle/oradata/first_database - would hold your datafiles for your first instance

/u01/app/oracle/admin/first_database - would hold your instance specific admin files (like bdump, pfile, etc)

You can unpack the installation pretty much anywhere you have free space since after the install its not needed any longer.

The above is just a quick throw-together with not a lot of thought added, I've found that keeping your structure simple yet consistent makes future upgrades easier.

Just my thoughts
hth