Re: How do you take your docs, HTML or PDF?

From: Noons <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam>
Date: 21 Feb 2003 14:49:53 GMT

Following up on John Russell, 21 Feb 2003:

> I had a discussion the other day where it was asserted that HTML was
> all-around better for certain types of documentation, such as API
> reference doc. As an advocate of online documentation in general, I
> like HTML for some things and PDF for others. I'm curious how others
> feel on that subject.

PDF for just about everything other than API doco. That one like you point out is easier in html. Like the Java SDK doco.

> - Do you view it online (as I interpret Nuno to suggest) or print it
> out?

View online. It's searchable as a single document. HTML isn't. Besides, most of the Oracle manuals come with the two pane thing (index and text panes). Great stuff.

> - If you print it out, is there some limitation of having it on the
> computer that makes it necessary to have a hardcopy? (E.g. easier to
> jot notes, don't always have a computer handy, limited screen size.)

Use a notebook, carry it everywhere. And for those ocasions when it's not practical download some of the summary info into the PDA and carry that one around.

> - Do you favour certain types of information, such as API reference,
> for looking up online?

Yes, with HTML.

> I remember hearing a while back that the cryptic PDF names might be a
> problem.

Mine aren't. I just renamed the files to what they are. Takes a while but once done, it stays. Ideal thing to do when you're sitting in the train to/from work. ;)

> Someone using the doc CD can pick from a list of books and
> open the PDF. (There's an HTML-format page and a PDF-format page,
> both linking to all the PDF files.) Do people often use just a couple
> of PDFs without having the complete doc CD? I wonder if having some
> sort of file-renamer would be handy.

In XP and 2K, you can associate comments with the name of each file and they show up as well in the pop-up window you get when resting the mouse over the file in explorer. Quite handy.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto