Re: I still don't understand the database concept but

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 21 Feb 2003 06:46:07 -0800

"Gabriel Gonzalez" <no-spam_at_no-spam.com> wrote in message news:<3e54d748$1_2_at_binarykiller.newsgroups.com>...
> > look for a dbs directory. For each instance created they should be an
> > init.ora file and within each init.ora file there should be a
>
> But what about: 1) The databases with SPFILE for which the original init was
> erased, and 2) The databases created with data structures in other
> directories?

That is a possibility though most locations I have talked to have not converted yet. On UNIX I would look for the oratab file to see what was in it. On an NT system there is probably something similar, and you can look at the task manager to see what is running. The problem would be finding defined but not started instances and their databases. The Oracle home structure itself might provide clues especially if an OFA style structure was followed.