ORA-01031, Windows 2000, Ora9.2

From: Mike Jay <mikejay_at_mitre.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:16:24 -0500

Hi guys,

The instance I am trying to connect to using both OS or remote password authentication fails with a ORA-01031 error.

I have looked in the archives, but my question may be a bit eclectic.

The local user is a member of the ORA_DBA group on windows, but not the local Administrator user.

The local user is a member of the:
  Active Directory Domain Administrators group   Local Administrators group
  ORA_DBA group

I have tried with OS (remote password none in initialization file) or with the ORAPWD file (remote password both shared and exclusive in initialization file) and failed to connect.

The ORADIM utility was used to make the OracleServiceMySID service.

I cannot use dbassist as the database is for a 3rd-party product using scripts to create the database.

Most important, the computer has been "locked down" with security templates doing who knows what to the Windows 2000 security policies. The two other systems allow me to install and support the 3rd-party application, but the "locked down" one fails.

My failed attempts to connect include two approaches

  1. sqlplus /nolog SQL> connect / as sysdba
  2. sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

I have looked throughout the Windows-specific Oracle administrators guide and the registry entries, oracle.key file, and user group membership look correct.

What Windows 2000 Server and Oracle9i conflict could result from tweaking Local Machine Policies?

Are any known gotchas typical? Templates mean scripts used to affect security policies on the Windows 2000 Server.

Thanks,
mikejay Received on Thu Feb 20 2003 - 19:16:24 CST