How do you take your docs, HTML or PDF?

From: John Russell <netnews5_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 00:07:27 GMT

Noons wrote:

>The manuals are much easier
>to consult, particularly if you download the pdfs
>and keep them on your desktop or notebook.

I had a discussion the other day where it was asserted that HTML was all-around better for certain types of documentation, such as API reference doc. As an advocate of online documentation in general, I like HTML for some things and PDF for others. I'm curious how others feel on that subject.

In particular, if you frequently use PDF:

And if you frequently use HTML:

I remember hearing a while back that the cryptic PDF names might be a problem. Someone using the doc CD can pick from a list of books and open the PDF. (There's an HTML-format page and a PDF-format page, both linking to all the PDF files.) Do people often use just a couple of PDFs without having the complete doc CD? I wonder if having some sort of file-renamer would be handy.

Thanks,
John Received on Thu Feb 20 2003 - 18:07:27 CST