Re: Oracle Server is _VERY_ slow (gone way off topic)

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:45:13 GMT

paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk said...
> "Karsten Farrell" <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote in message
>
> > DBA > retired > DBA
>
> I *don't* believe it!
>
> DBAs never get retired.
> They either roll back - or are committed.
>
> Just had a horrible thought: Perhaps they get aged out of memory. Aargh!
>
> Regards,
> Paul (aka V. Meldrew Senior - VMS for short ;-)

Yep. Maybe I should change it to "rolled back" ... better than being committed to an institution, I s'pose ... but the main reason I got hired back is because us old folks don't cost a lot of money ... I took a pay cut equal to my retirement ... made me cheaper than the competition ... the Wal-Mart of DBAs ... but, of course, they don't have Wal-Mart in the UK. ;-)

Ah yes, VMS ... now there was an operating system! And whatever happened to DEC's old marketing slogan - Aren't all computers Digital computers? And DECUS ... that annual hangout for geeks ... sounds much better than COMPAQUS ... though DECtalk couldn't pronounce DECUS correctly.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA