Hash Joins vs. Nested Loops

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 20 Feb 2003 10:25:06 -0800

Someone I was working with told me the following. I was wondering if anyone has any comments, because I have not seen this in any articles/books.

He said that when he tunes he generally likes to try to force nested loop joins over hash joins because these tend to increase performance? He has done this for a long time and he said that is based on experience.

Anyone else notice this? I have never seen this anywhere else. BTW, I know the difference between hash joins and nested loops and know when either is generally used by the optimizer. Received on Thu Feb 20 2003 - 12:25:06 CST