Re: I need hlp with user configuration

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:59:32 GMT

xpepsi_manx_at_hotmail.com said...
> Sorry for my spelling,
>
> I am from quebec Canada, i'm french and i can't explain my problem
> well. I did set up my server using Oracle 9i. i choose the personnel
> server install. After the installation, i did create a new DB with
> base table + 1 table(UTL). So, after the creation of the table, i did
> tried to give some rights for the DB to a user.
>
> But, do i have to create new user to give them rights???
>
> From there i wasn't able to connect to the DB.
>
> My SID and server name aren't the same so this is not the problem.
>
> Thx for your answer!
>
> Guillaume Lapierre

Nothing wrong with being French ... or any other nationality where English is a second language. Most people on this NG try to understand what's being asked, even if the poster doesn't have a complete command of the language. So don't be afraid to ask (though there are a few who feel the need to make others feel foolish).

If you have a new database, then there are at least two Oracle accounts that you can use (both with lots of privileges):

  system with a default password of manager   sys with a default password of change_on_install

You should change the password of both of these accounts. To add a "typical" user with a minimum of privileges, open a DOS window:

  sqlplus system/manager
  create user myuser identified by somepassword     default tablespace utl
    temporary tablespace temp;
  grant connect to myuser;

You can do the same from the GUI sqlplus or from Oracle Enterprise Manager (if you've set it up).

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA