Re: I still don't understand the database concept but

From: Noons <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam>
Date: 20 Feb 2003 13:52:50 GMT

Following up on Richard Foote, 21 Feb 2003:

> Effectively, a database is logically made up of "Tablespaces". A
> tablespace is simply a storage area that is used to store "things" in
> the database. A tablespace is physically made up of one or more of the
> data files described above.

One description I always found useful when I had to teach this was:

"A tablespace is a named set of sections of disk space with its own continuous adress space."

I got it from a very old IBM SQL/DS flier, a long time ago. It (still!) makes sense.

>> Am I still missing the plot? Sorry that I'm just not understanding this
>> concept, but its probably my stupidity shining through! ( or my youth!)

> I'm
>> very new to Oracle and all you help is much appriciated.
>>

> It all takes time. Hopefully, the above might help your understanding.

This was very good advice, James. And it comes free.

> Or totally confuse you senseless ...

That comes with PL/SQL and object-relational mapping. DAMHIKT...
¦Þ

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto