Re: I still don't understand the database concept but

From: Stephan Bressler <stephan.bressler_at_siemens.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:04:01 +0100

Hi James,

"oracle server" refers to an instance, i.e. a bunch of processes and memory structure. "database" is the data stored on disk, which is maintained by the server.
I cannot think of a scenario in which an instance runs more that one database. Unless you use rac, there's always a 1on1-relationship between instance and database. Of cource, you can run several instance-database-pair on a single machine.

Regards
Stephan

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76965/c01i
> ntro.htm#12981
> "Introduction to Oracle Server"
>
> From my understanding or this document: You have an Oracle Server, which
has
> databases. The Databases are made up of Logical and Physical structures.
> A database is divided into logical storage units called tablespaces, which
> group related logical structures together.
> And Datafiles physically store the data of all logical structures in the
> table space.
>
> Now the question I have is how do I find out all the names of these
> databases? Forexample I know that the Database I created when I setup the
> server is "Maindb". I only have one on my server but I want to know for
the
> situation where I could have multiple!
>
> Am I still missing the plot? Sorry that I'm just not understanding this
> concept, but its probably my stupidity shining through! ( or my youth!)
I'm