Re: Data Dictionary Documentation

From: Noons <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam>
Date: 20 Feb 2003 10:04:14 GMT

Following up on Ryan Gaffuri, 20 Feb 2003:

> Anyone know where I can find column by column documentation for
> Oracle's data dictionary? Having to sort of figure it out by doing
> queries and then checking the boards is time consuming and I can't
> always be certain Im correct. Can't find really good stuff on OTN.

The Database Reference Guide in the manual set has a complete description of all those views and columns and whatevers. And it's reasonably accurate and up to date. Check it out in the doco sites already referenced.

> I Have a poster from Computer Associates which is ok. Anyone know if
> the one that TUSC puts out is better?

I wouldn't rely on those things. Most are incomplete/inaccurate/out of date. There was a fad about those 3 or 4 years ago, then they stopped.

Still have a few scattered around, but I rarely if ever look them up. The manuals are much easier to consult, particularly if you download the pdfs and keep them on your desktop or notebook.

Get the ones corresponding to your precise release, those things keep changing!

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto