I still don't understand the database concept but

From: James <james_at_nothing.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:05:45 +0200

Hi there
Thanks to everyone for help on my last posting (Database names?) but to a certain extent it confused me more.

Firstly I'm using Windows 2k and running Oracle 9 server

I've read
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76965/c01i ntro.htm#12981
"Introduction to Oracle Server"

From my understanding or this document: You have an Oracle Server, which has databases. The Databases are made up of Logical and Physical structures. A database is divided into logical storage units called tablespaces, which group related logical structures together. And Datafiles physically store the data of all logical structures in the table space.

Now the question I have is how do I find out all the names of these databases? Forexample I know that the Database I created when I setup the server is "Maindb". I only have one on my server but I want to know for the situation where I could have multiple!

Am I still missing the plot? Sorry that I'm just not understanding this concept, but its probably my stupidity shining through! ( or my youth!) I'm very new to Oracle and all you help is much appriciated.

cheers
James Received on Thu Feb 20 2003 - 03:05:45 CST