Re: RAC High End Scalability?

From: JustAnotherDBA <jadba_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:10:38 -0600

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:3e534879$0$11366$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...
> "JustAnotherDBA" <jadba_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
> > The setup for sql server clustering seems to be the bigger problem to
me.

> > I could be wrong, but doesn't the sql server clustering require actually
> > splitting data into different copies for each node and then merging the
> data
> > with a view ?
> >
> > Who in their right mind would implement something like that ?
> >
> > It seems misleading to even allow in tpc.org benchmarks something (like
> > this) that no one would put in a real production database.
>
> But on that basis nearly all the systems, including the Oracle systems
> should also be rejected, who in their right mind would use a system with a
> MTTF measured in hours.

Are you suggesting the alternative (a microsoft product) would have a better uptime :)

I suspect you mean even Oracle's clustered database does not have a good uptime. I haven't looked at that particular benchmark statistic. Well, I agree a clustered database on say 4 2-cpu machines would not be my choice over say an 8-cpu machine not running clustering . Although, I hear Oracle(conference comments from a friend) was saying 4 2-cpu is running RAC is a good idea (sells software?). Although it is true faster cpus come out in 2-cpu machines quicker, we still wouldn't swap out our hardware/cpus any quicker than today (sadly ... every 2 to 4 years).