Re: Backup and Recovery with RMAN and Legato

From: Ronald <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: 19 Feb 2003 08:57:57 -0800

"Christian Geier" <Christian.Geier_at_tds.de> wrote in message news:<3e536e10$0$14940$4d4ebb8e_at_read.news.de.uu.net>...
> Hallo Ronald,
>
> we are running rman in that case on Sun solaris 8 on a oracle 9.2.0.1
> database and use the legato business-suite Module for oracle 3.5
> But thats not the case I think.
> I testet the scripts locally and everything worked fine. I used a shell
> script where I set all the parameters and called the rman script with su as
> oracle user.
> Therefore I didn`t need a password for the target database.
> The problem is to call the script over the legato server.
> We have to use the nsrnmo script as backup command, and an rman script as
> the backup set.
> Here we have to put user and password in the rman script.
> This is shown in the log of the legato networker.
> I would be glad If you or anyone else can give me a practical solution for
> this problem
>
> Kind regards
> Chris (a colleage of Angelika)

You can use a here document or a pipe for input of the rman commands. In that case the connect commands are not shown in the logs. The passwords are still somewhere around but you can put it in a 600 file from the oracle user making it a little more secure. I would probably go for script that gets the userid&passwords edited into it and pipe that to rman.
Who not do it the other way around and link oracle with the legato libraries (libobk) ? In that case oracle sends the files to the mediamanager and you have everything under control. Doing so it would be easier to use OEM for it.

Ronald.

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba Received on Wed Feb 19 2003 - 10:57:57 CST