Re: Newbie Question on Partitions

From: Paul Dixon <paul.gp.dixon_at_bttinnedham.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:53:36 -0000

"M2" <me_at_quietplaceiwithnospam.com> wrote in message news:T8d4a.77$Aq3.14282_at_news.optus.net.au...
> I'm sorry (and possible embarrased) to say that actually was what I was
> suggesting. I work for an education institution and need to gracefully
move
> out old session data to keep sizes down. The sessions start and end on
> different dates each year and the systems provided for these often don't
> start on the start of session anyway. This didn't seem to fit any mold for
> identifying it's destination partition at the time of insert.
>
> So how do you efficiently deal with something like this where information
> needs to move from one partition to another post creation?
>
> Is partitioning maybe not the way to go? All I am really after is a way to
> flag a (large) group of rows to be archived using an external process
(it's
> complicated logic). After doing this I want to be able to move the data
off
> to the warehouse and recover the space in the production system with as
> little effect on the production system as possible.

Matt,

I don't know whether this fits in with the "complicated logic" you use for archiving, but rather than moving data to a different partion when it becomes "old" why not periodically create additional partitions to receive "new" session data. Eventually at some point in time a previous partition would only contain data that meets your "old" criteria and could be processed accordingly.

Paul Dixon Received on Wed Feb 19 2003 - 07:53:36 CST