Re: Use of raw partition for the oracle tablespace

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Feb 2003 21:49:32 -0800

"Useko Netsumi" <usenets_at_nyc.rr.com> wrote in message news:<b2rg7o$1ee88n$1_at_ID-159205.news.dfncis.de>...
> I know how to create the tablespace using datafile located in a linux
> partition, but if I want to use a row partition for datafiles, how do I do
> it in Linux? Thanks

start here:

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Filesystems-HOWTO.html unfortunately, the section for raw partitions is not yet populated.

Sybase has posted this doc for the use of raw partitions with its product
http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-as/asp1250e/aseiglnx/@Generic__BookTextView/14514

its likely that the exact syntax for how you will perform this will vary based upon your distribution and version (it doesn't hurt to post that sort of info, unless you're afraid of a distribution war ;) ).

fdisk will create the partition.
if you don't use makefs, then the partition won't have a filesystem. (you don't want a filesystem for a raw partition).

As Oracle OPS and 9i RAC must use raw filesystems, there must be some docs somewhere about creating raw partitions for use as datafiles.

this was less than helpful, worth noting: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/html/A97297_01/appc_ln.htm#CHDJHICE

that wasn't much help, but its a start.

Paul Received on Tue Feb 18 2003 - 23:49:32 CST