Re: Newbie: What actions have to be taken when doing a COLD BACKUP?

From: Ron Reidy <rereidy_at_indra.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:29:14 -0700

See below ...

peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am expected to do some Oracle DBA work, unfortunately I still quit new in
> this area
> and I would really appreciate your advice / help in this matter.
>
> I got an Oracle 8.1.6 server (NT4) running a few databases. All database are
> running in Archive mode.
> We run daily backups on the files system using ArcServe, which also backup
> the Archive redo files.

<WARNING>

What about the data files of the instance? Are the tablespaces put in backup mode before the copy is made? If not, your backups are not going to be valid.

</WARNING>

> My ARCHIVE redo files are taking a lot o space by now and I had to move some
> of them from the archive directory to another volume.
> I have been told that these archive redo files can be removed (deleted) as
> soon as a "COLD backup" has been done. As far as I have red, a COLD backup
> consist of bring down the database (stopping) to archive a consistent state
> and doing a backup with ArcServe or just copying these files
> (datafiles/param.files/control files) to a CD-ROM.
Or when they are copied as part of the hot backup.

> My question:
>
> 1.)
> Does my Oracle server somehow need to know that a COLD backup has been done
> (or is about to start), so that in a case of a recovery (db crash), it won't
> request or insist to have Archive redo files that have deleted?
Redo log information is kept in the control file.

> I may be making a complete mistake, but I would perform a COLD BACKUP by:
> 1.) Ensure that all users have logged off
> 2.) Starting the Enterprise database manager graphical tool, >
> 3.) Stopping the database (shutdown)
> 4.) Schedule an ArcServe Job to backup the datafiles / control and param
> files.
> 5.) Deleting the Archive redo files
> 6.) Restarting the database using the Enterprise database manager
>
> Did I forget any import detail?

No.

However, I would strongly suggest you use RMAN to control your backups.

    I think you might be able to run RMAN backups from ArcServ (not sure here, but the Backup Recovery Guide or metalink might give you this information).

> Thanks for your help in advance!

You're welcome.

--
Ron Reidy