Newbie: What actions have to be taken when doing a COLD BACKUP?

From: peter <peter01234_at_zonnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 00:18:16 +0100

Hi,

I am expected to do some Oracle DBA work, unfortunately I still quit new in this area
and I would really appreciate your advice / help in this matter.

I got an Oracle 8.1.6 server (NT4) running a few databases. All database are running in Archive mode.
We run daily backups on the files system using ArcServe, which also backup the Archive redo files.
My ARCHIVE redo files are taking a lot o space by now and I had to move some of them from the archive directory to another volume. I have been told that these archive redo files can be removed (deleted) as soon as a "COLD backup" has been done. As far as I have red, a COLD backup consist of bring down the database (stopping) to archive a consistent state and doing a backup with ArcServe or just copying these files
(datafiles/param.files/control files) to a CD-ROM.

My question:

1.)
Does my Oracle server somehow need to know that a COLD backup has been done
(or is about to start), so that in a case of a recovery (db crash), it won't
request or insist to have Archive redo files that have deleted?

I may be making a complete mistake, but I would perform a COLD BACKUP by:

1.) Ensure that all users have logged off
2.) Starting the Enterprise database manager graphical tool, >
3.) Stopping the database (shutdown)
4.) Schedule an ArcServe Job to backup the datafiles / control and param
files.
5.) Deleting the Archive redo files
6.) Restarting the database using the Enterprise database manager

Did I forget any import detail?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Cheers,
Peter Received on Tue Feb 18 2003 - 17:18:16 CST