Re: RMAN v Control Files

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Feb 2003 13:47:40 -0800

"Bill & Mary Border" <bb22_at_adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<XG64a.9913$jR3.5134590_at_news1.news.adelphia.net>...
> We have other DB support group that copy datafiles and
> do not use DUPLICATE. Are you saying that there is a way
> to clone a database without DUPLICATE and then change
> the DBID?

You can use the stuff in BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE to clone without RMAN at all, with appropriate hacks to the script for the new db. That Note: 174625.1 is useful to keep RMAN from being confused with the results.

> "Pete's" <empete2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > The requirement of having multiple Recovery Catalogues is not
> > necessary. When you clone an instance, you are able to reset the
> > db_id of the database for versions 8i and above. Search metalinks for
> > "Reset DB_ID", check out Note Id: 174625.1 "RMAN: Incomplete
> > Duplication and It's Consequences". This dicusses how to change the
> > db_id. Therefore, you may register this new clone to rman with a
> > different db_id.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Pete's
> >
> > "Bill & Mary Border" <bb22_at_adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > > If you're asking about the age-old question of whether
> > > or not to use an RMAN recovery catalog...
> > >
> > > Pros to using RCVCAT:
> > >
> > > - The concept of database "incarnations" only works if
> > > you are using an RCVCAT. We found out (the hard)
> > > way that this is a big deal. That is, if you use the
> > > controlfile instead of an RCVCAT, you won't be able
> > > to use "incarnations". A BIG DEAL
> > > - Some of the reporting is better
> > >
> > > Cons to using RCVCAT:
> > >
> > > - Increased support required (one or more additional
> > > instances to support).
> > > - If you have multiple DB's with the same DBID, each
> > > will require its own RCVCAT, which is not practical
> > > in our case.
> > >
> > > Write to me if you need more info.
> > >
> > > Bill
> > >

> > > "Gary Mandaracas" <garym_at_singnet.com.sg> wrote in message

> and

> or
> the

jg

--
@home is bogus.  I love it when support says THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE
FOR xxx A DATABASE IS NOT SUPPORTED BY ORACLE SUPPORT, AND YOU PERFORM