Re: About LMT's -- nice article

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 18 Feb 2003 09:05:11 -0800

In article <3E51A2E8.FEA76267_at_exesolutions.com>, DA says...

snip
>> Yep. Never ever install the first release of a major version :)
>>

>Couldn't disagree more. Always install the first release of a major reversion
>... in development. Moving it to production, on the other hand, takes masochism.
>But first releases are the place to gain familiarity so that you are prepared to
>go forward when the fully tested production release becomes available.

snip

Hmm, depends on your definition of Development I suppose. Most sites I worked at have Development for the developers to actually code. Give them access to somehting new and they're sure to use it. You would then have to fight to not use it in Production. Plus, how do you actually ensure they use functionality that works the same way between Development and Production. Hope you have a serious Test environment.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but I would make sure you use a DBA Test environment for your playground rather than real Development.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Tue Feb 18 2003 - 11:05:11 CST