Re: 30 Character Limit

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 00:22:19 +1000

"Sigrid Ehrenreich" <Sigrid.Ehrenreich_at_carus-it.com> wrote in message news:3E5228DE.2080404_at_carus-it.com...
> Regarding your smon question:
> I have heard that some people have started to use pctincrease 1 on their
> tables to get the smon to coalesce free space.

Hi Sigrid,

You utter words of evil !!

I still remember when I first heard this "Language of Sauron" many years as I nearly choked on a Tim Tam at the time.

Nasty stuff.

> This is not necessary, because as far as I know, contigous free space
> will be coalesced when it's needed, independent of your pctincrease.
> Only if you set your pctincrease to something higher than 0, smon will
> constantly coalesce the space.

Oracle will not automatically coalesce free space unless the tablespace pctincrease value is non 0.

But I agree it's not necessary for many reasons, the main being LMT is the only way to go.

But thanks for the memories ...

Cheers

Richard Received on Tue Feb 18 2003 - 08:22:19 CST