Re: RMAN v Control Files

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:41:23 -0000

"Noons" <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:Xns9326D0ABFE703Tokenthis_at_210.49.20.254...

> I understand that, but what are the "preferred credentials" in
> terms of Windows userid? I know where to change them, but I don't
> know where to check the contents of the default one. And is it used
> by RMAN itself, or Enterprise Manager, or the Management server or the
> Agent? Or all?

I don't use RMAN so I can't say whether RMAN uses the account or not, but preferred credentials are set in OEM from the configuration menu. Choose preferences, where you get administrator specific preferences and then preferred credentials. this has a setting for each item, AND a default for each type of managed object. I think this probably implies that you should have one adminstrator that owns all of the jobs, events etc and configure preferred credentials for this account, then create other administrators if you need them as super administrators, I for one can't see why preferred credentials shouldn't be an attribute of the node/database/web server rather than of the administrator but there you go.

> The problem is that this is a highly secure environment
> and the default accounts in Windows have been modified
> extensively to tighten the darn thing up. Need I say the group
> who does that understands nothing about Oracle?
> It's caused me so many problems I really wish I was running
> Unix!!!

I thought that was your default position on windows v unix <G>? As well as making sure that the OS user has the privs referred to in the error message and is set up correctly in OEM make sure that it has full control of the temp directory that it uses and at least read and execute rights to the Oracle Home directory. You can usually troubleshoot the 'Do I have a permissions problem or have I fat fingered the setup' question by *temporarily* setting the userid in question as an administrator of the server.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA