Re: RMAN v Control Files

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:40:49 +0100

Noons wrote:
> Following up on Howard J. Rogers, 17 Feb 2003:
>

>>I had hoped I made myself clear, but obviously not. The recommendation
>>to dispense with the catalog is a 9i one. The reason is that RMAN now
>>stores 'persistent configuration parameters' in the control file of the
>>target database, meaning that backup becomes a one-line command 'backup
>>database;'. Not too complicated!! But in 8i, there were no persistent

> While I caught you in RMAN mode, Howard:
>
> Much appreciated if you could help here.
>
> 91r2, W2K, Enterprise Manager being used.
> You know how the config (channels, yadda yadda) can now
> be stored on the control file. Now, there is a user login under
> which the backup process will take place. Apparently that can also be
> changed/stored.
>
> I've been unable to make it use anything other than
> "not specified, default", which I prsume to be Windows SYSTEM user.
> What's the trick? Been through the doco, but nothing on this that
> I could find.
>
> TIA, etcetc.

Since Howard has discarded Windows totally and perhaps missed your question too, maybe I might be of assistance?

If I remember correctly, what you need is an account that is part of the ora_dba group (or ora_<sid>_dba), that has both 'log on as batch' and 'log on as service' privileges granted.

Typically the prefered credentials for the selected node are used unless you specify different in Enterprise Manager.

HTH Holger Received on Tue Feb 18 2003 - 01:40:49 CST