Re: Newbie Question on Partitions

From: Jusung Yang <JusungYang_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Feb 2003 23:24:08 -0800

Well, this is a fairly common problem in building a data warehouse. You need to feed your warehouse with data from the prodcution system, but you don't want the extraction process to trash your production system peformance. Typically the ETL process is done during hours when the system is not busy - all the more better if you only have to run it on a weekly or monthly basis. How frequent do you need to archive your data? If not very frequent, you might as well just try to avoid peak hours when archiving.

I can see 2 steps that are impacting oyur production system performance:

  1. ETL queries that move data from production to either DW or staging area. You said very little about this step. I will refrain from guessing and suggesting possible solutions.
  2. Removal of the above mentioned data. You remove data from a table either by using "delete", "truncate" or "drop partition". You can not truncate the whole table, so you either just delete the rows or like you said, manually move the rows to a partition and then dropping the partition. I have not sit down and tried to prove it, but it is almost certain that the partitioing apparoach will end up costing your more.

I would say if you can not partition you table with a proper key then you will have to rely on the good old "delete" to do the work.