Re: Thanks tor Howord Rogers

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 05:31:58 +1100

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 16:14:02 +0100, lopera wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the reply
>
> I understand I can simply ignore the public IPs for the two nodes so
> both nodes are in a private network (therefore only needs 1 IP each) but
> I would like to connect to both nodes from a third PC in LAN which wont
> share the private network in these two nodes

The only distinction that the words 'public' and 'private' implies is that one NIC is *only* for inter-Instance traffic, whilst the other is for the rest of the world to talk to the RAC. As I said, in a production RAC you of course would want to separate the traffic, for performance reasons as much as anything else. BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO.

The setup wizard itself asks you: do you want to use the public OR private interface for inter-Instance traffic. You can quite happily select 'public' there, and you can proceed. So on a home PC, connected to three other PCs, each with just one NIC, yes, you can build a RAC and then connect to it from the other PCs on the LAN.

> Regarding Oracle software install James mentioned he shared the software
> between two nodes using NFS, so I guess he installed once only!

You're right, and I'm sorry. I forgot he was using such a technique. But I'd still advise against it (single point of failure etc).

Regards
HJR