Re: RMAN v Control Files

From: Bill & Mary Border <bb22_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:51:20 GMT

These newsgroups are a know-it-all's heaven. I was simply using the acronym RCVCAT for "recover catalog" duhhhhh.... And I was just trying to be helpful. It must be a terrible burden to know everything Howard...

If you do use a recovery catalog (happy now?) you can issue the RESET DATABASE TO INCARNATION N; command which for us has been a BIG DEAL. If you have to do multiple restores to a point-in-time (without having to manually find the correct copy of the controlfile) that is further back than the previous restore you need this. As I said, we found this out the hard way before switching to using all controlfiles. We do use 8i on about 600 databases.

Bill