Re: bug & patch availability

From: Noons <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam>
Date: 17 Feb 2003 11:12:57 GMT

Following up on Niall Litchfield, 17 Feb 2003:

> why would you not patch to 8174?. Oracle do occasionally backport patches,
> but It doesn't seem unreasonable to me to patch the current versions.

There are some very significant differences of the CBO behaviour between .2 and .4. Some sites have gone through all the pain of upgrading their SQL to work OK with the quirks of .2 patch level. And they feel going to .4 can actually cause problems. Abstracting from the usual (and boring) "we're running OTS app server that requires .2".

Nope: "compatible" and "optimizer_compatible" don't ALWAYS work, I'm afraid... ;)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto