Re: Thanks tor Howord Rogers

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 21:21:24 +1100

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 20:39:53 +0100, lopera wrote:

> Hi Charlie
>
> Did you have two network cards in your PC/Labtop? It's because according
> to note 184821.1 we need 2 IPs, one public and the other for internal
> network between two nodes. If that is the case I think we need two NICs
> right?

Totally incorrect. You would of course have at least two NICs on a production RAC. But it's not a requirement.

> Also how did you install the second Linux, as virtual disk from the
> first Linux installation or you installed a new fresh Linux from
> physical disk?
>
> I am reading James Morle's paper but it seems like he only had one
> Oracle sofwtare installed (unlike a normal RAC installation where both
> nodes have Oracle sofwtare).

Read again, I think. James' paper uses raw partitions. You can't install Oracle onto raw partitions. Therefore, he had two Oracle installs (one on the genuine PC, and one on the virtual PC). There is no requirement, even with a cluster file system, to have a shared Oracle install, and in fact I find things a great deal more workable, predictable and stable when Oracle *isn't* installed onto the shared device.

>Instead he shared them using NFS. Using his
> way the installation is not that realistic, RCP is not used to transfer
> the software from one node to another, and we dont have to follow any of
> the steps in note 184821.1

Lord. Who said it was realistic?? James doesn't even make that claim himself. It was a testbed environment in which to test specific things. It means all of us can learn RAC, despite pathetic single PC home setups. Give him some credit!!

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Feb 17 2003 - 04:21:24 CST