Newbie Question on Partitions

From: M2 <me_at_quietplaceiwithnospam.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 05:16:00 GMT

Hi,
just a quick newbie question on partitions. I have a very large table (40 million rows) that I want to move into partitions. The plan here is to create two partitions one for "archive" rows and the other for production rows. I will then periodically update rows to set the archive flag (causing a change in partition) and move the data off to a warehouse. The partition will then be dropped to recover the space.

So, my question is, will this be efficient if both the archive and production partitions are in the same tablespace? Everything I read seems to mention partitions synonymously with different tablespaces but is it possible to do it in the same space? What would I lose out on?

Matt. Received on Sun Feb 16 2003 - 23:16:00 CST