Re: About LMT's -- nice article

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 16 Feb 2003 16:08:40 -0800

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3E4FD8F4.5FA42F8D_at_exesolutions.com>...

> Anything less than Oracle 9i experience won't get you an interview by
> the end of this year. Developers and DBAs need to act in their own
> vested self-interest unless they wish to go the way of the dinosaurs and
> the RPG II programmers.

I think you're going too far there. At least in Australia, I can tell you for sure that 9i here is currently mostly immaterial. Vast majority of sites are in 7, 8 or 8i and those are by far the most common requirements anywhere.

Besides, I do have a serious problem with anyone claiming that professional competence in a field as vast as database administration is in any way, shape or format linked to a particular version.

That may be the case with M$ software but as far as the rest of IT is concerned, it has never been like that and it most certainly won't start now.

With all due respect to those here who make a living out of selling version-dependent competence/instruction/consultancy/whatever.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam Received on Sun Feb 16 2003 - 18:08:40 CST