Re: About LMT's -- nice article

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 20:46:38 -0000

Comments in-line.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon one-day tutorials:
Cost Based Optimisation
Trouble-shooting and Tuning
Indexing Strategies
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )

____UK_______March 19th
____USA_(FL)_May 2nd

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Noons wrote in message ...

>> http://www.dbazine.com/jlewis8.html
>

>really have a problem with the opening paragraph
>of that article:
>LMTs were NOT introduced in Oracle 8.
>They were introduced in Oracle 8i.
Thanks for the correction - I've sent a note to the editor asking him to amend this. If I'd checked my book, of course, I would have got it right first time. .
>There is no point to be made in omitting the fact that LMTs are
>relatively "new" in Oracle terms, just for the sake of
>encouraging their use.
I think this is probably the first time that someone has implied that I might indulge in a cover-up in order to promote Oracle.
>There is, like, nearly four years in-between! Read metaclick
>patch bundle bug descriptions if you think they were usable
>in production before that.
In passing - if you've read the 9.2 patch set notes, can I assume that you don't use bitmap indexes, parallel query, or a couple of the other features that have been around since at least 7.3 ?