Re: Is transaction ID unique for the life of a DB?

From: Jusung Yang <JusungYang_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Feb 2003 09:51:25 -0800

JusungYang_at_yahoo.com (Jusung Yang) wrote in message news:<130ba93a.0302160107.2c6394ad_at_posting.google.com>...
> yong321_at_yahoo.com (Yong Huang) wrote in message > > Forget about "lifetime". If the database executes 20*(max sequence
> > > value) of transactions a day or an hour, I would bet transaction IDs
> > > will recycle. And I think ORACLE uses the "CYCLE" clause for the
> > > sequence so no error will be generated when the sequence hits the max
> > > and recycle.
> >
> > I found David's question on Metalink he posted at the same time as he
> > posted to this newsgroup. For the benefit of all newsgroup readers,
> > it's http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showFOR?p_id=336635.995&p_showHeader=1&p_showHelp=1
> >

> Feels like I just opened a can of worms. I am surprised that ORACLE
> would not allow the sequence the recycle when it maxs out and you
> actually have to drop and recreate that particular rollback segment.

This just occurred to me. What if you are using ORACLE 9i with auto undo management? In this case, you can not create rollback segment manually. Though ORA-1558 is still in ORACLE error message DOC, it may not apply in this case. It would be nice to experiment a bit by running out all available transaction IDs and see if ORACLE raise any error or simply recycle the IDs. Unfortunately I don't have a spare 9i machine at the moment.