Re: RMAN v Control Files

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 16:13:56 +0200

Hi!

Why are you doing two incremental backups per day? Is it because of very short allowed recovery time? What's the max time to recover requirement for your systems?

Why I'm asking this - I've sometimes seen that people with unix/windows (non-oracle) background do not realize that Oracle archivelogging feature, if properly configured, allows you to recover your database to any point in time (in past or present ;)

You have fairly small databases, is they aren't extreme 24x7 systems, you could wery well get away with nightly full backups and continous archivelog shipping to another server/disk/tape.

Tanel.

"Gary Mandaracas" <garym_at_singnet.com.sg> wrote in message news:b2nvo7$jlp$1_at_reader01.singnet.com.sg...
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Your right, Data Protector is just HP's backup software which integrates
> with Oracle and other software.
>
> We are currently on 8i, I don't know if your comment on the catalogue
> database no longer being required still applies.
>
> I'm not sure what constitutes a complicated backup strategy but we have
four
> databases on 8i and take two incremental backups during the day plus a
full
> online backup at night - each database is around 30Gb.
>
> Cheers
>
> Gary
>
> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 22:46:29 +0800, Gary Mandaracas wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone advise,
> > >
> > > We have installed HP's Data Protector to backup our Oracle databses
and
> > > other systems in two of our sites and been given different advise by
> > > consultants working on each installation.
> > >
> > > For Data Protector you can configure the backup to integrate with RMAN
> or
> > > make use of Control files. In the first install we where advised to
> > > configure RMAN prior to the consultant coming in to install and set-up
> the
> > > backup software, however in a more recent install at another site the
> > > consultant advised us to make use of the Control files.
> > >
> > > Is he cutting corners to get the job done or does it really make no
> > > difference? What are the pros and cons of each approach?
> > >
> > > Any advice would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > Gary
> >
> > It's not entirely clear what you are talking about, because I don't know
> > the specific product you mention but I *think* you are
> > saying that one consultant advised the use of a Catalog Database for
RMAN
> > to use as its repository, and another advised not to bother with a
Catalog
> > Database at all, but get RMAN to store its repository information in the
> > Control Files of the target database itself. (I'm assuming that this
Data