Re: Corrupted Redo Logs

From: JustAnotherDBA <jadba_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 01:48:36 -0600

Seems when I added another member (multi-plexing) to my REDO logs, I saw the word STALE . I don't think I needed to do anything, but I did a 'alter system switch logfile' and it cleared up the current REDO group status.

So, the STALE status doesn't mean corrupted I assume.

Seems to me if you have a corrupted log file, then you would not be able to completely/cleanly do a switch logfile... which activates the log writer to copy the log to the archived log dest.

Not sure why you have this status to begin with ?

Do you see any other errors like in the alert.log ? That would be a good place to see any errors about a corrupt file anywhere I think. Or , looking in the /var/adm/messages file (for Solaris Unix anyway). I have seen other people comment on the use of a utility to check Oracle files which I have never used (called something like dbverify - look in ORACLE_HOME/bin/db*).

Anyway, just my opinion... check the manuals wouldn't hurt - maybe search for "corrupt file" .