Corrupted Redo Logs

From: Kevin McDaniel <kmcdaniel96_at_attbi.com>
Date: 15 Feb 2003 18:44:25 -0800

I'm reading up on the Backup and Recovery study materials and it talks about clearing corrupted redo logs. Specifically, it states "If an online redo log file has been corrupted while the database is open, ALTER DATABASE CLEAR LOGFILE can be used to create or clear the files without the database needing to be shut down." That's cool, but I'm trying to understand how a DBA would KNOW that the file was corrupted, versus anything else. It mentions querying the v$logfile view and looking at the status column (INVALID=inaccessible, STALE=contents incomplete because file not filled, blank=in use). Does this mean that if I have a STALE member, I've got a corrupted file? How can I be certain the file is corrupted so that I can take appropriate action? Appreciate all serious replies in advance. Thanks.

Kevin Received on Sat Feb 15 2003 - 20:44:25 CST