Re: Installation/instance requirements for Linux

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 16:09:46 GMT

On 15 Feb 2003 07:49:02 -0800, timasmith_at_hotmail.com (Tim Smith) wrote:

>Hi,
> I would like to setup Oracle 9i on my old Linux PC - 533Mhz, 128MB
>RAM, Red Hat 7.2. I have bumped up the semaphores but get a ORA-3113
>error on creation of the database instance (03113: end-of-file on
>communication channel).
>
> 1) Will it work in RH or MUST I have SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 7
> 2) Is it possible to succeed with 128RAM/1GB SWAP (I selected
>options for a 104MB RAM database) or must I increase memory.
>
>thanks
>
>Tim

Hi Tim,

  1. Yes it will.But the Oracle Installation Guide requires you to have 512 Mb of RAM, which leads to the answer to 2).....
  2. You must increase memory to 512 Mb of RAM. I once, experimentally, was able to squeeze Oracle 9i in with 256Mb on RH 7.2, but don't count on such installations. Meet the hardware requirements from the start.
    • Kenneth Koenraadt