RMAN v Control Files

From: Gary Mandaracas <garym_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 22:46:29 +0800

Can anyone advise,

We have installed HP's Data Protector to backup our Oracle databses and other systems in two of our sites and been given different advise by consultants working on each installation.

For Data Protector you can configure the backup to integrate with RMAN or make use of Control files. In the first install we where advised to configure RMAN prior to the consultant coming in to install and set-up the backup software, however in a more recent install at another site the consultant advised us to make use of the Control files.

Is he cutting corners to get the job done or does it really make no difference? What are the pros and cons of each approach?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gary Received on Sat Feb 15 2003 - 08:46:29 CST