Re: Metalink for developers?

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 23:19:49 +0100

Bill Lucas wrote:
> "Andy Hassall" <andy_at_andyh.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>>On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:50:52 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Also if you read the license you would know that Oracle does not allow
>>

> you to
>
>>>develop in the free download version. That download version is for demo
>>

> and
>
>>>evaluation purposes. If you are using it for development you are
>>

> technically in
>
>>>violation of the agreement you made with Oracle for the download.
>>
>> Doesn't look like it says that (at least not now, anyway - has it

> changed?)
>
>> (Legalese isn't my first language, though)
>>
>>"License Rights
>>We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use the
>>programs only for purposes of developing and prototyping your

> applications, and
>
>>not for any other purpose.  If you use the applications you develop under

> this
>
>>license for any internal data processing or for any commercial or

> production
>
>>purposes, or you want to use the programs for any purpose other than as
>>permitted under this agreement, you must contact us, or an Oracle

> reseller, to
>
>>obtain the appropriate license.  We may audit your use of the programs.
>>Program documentation is either shipped with the programs, or

> documentation may
>
>>accessed online at http://otn.oracle.com/docs.
>>
>>Ownership and Restrictions
>>We retain all ownership and intellectual property rights in the programs.

> The
>
>>programs may be installed on one computer only, and used by one person in

> the
>
>>operating environment identified by us.  You may make one copy of the

> programs
>
>>for backup purposes.
>>
>>You may not:
>>·use the programs for your own internal data processing or for any

> commercial
>
>>or production purposes, or use the programs for any purpose except the
>>development and prototyping of your applications;
>>·use the applications you develop with the programs for any internal data
>>processing or commercial or production purposes without securing an

> appropriate
>
>>license from us;
>>·remove or modify any program markings or any notice of our proprietary

> rights;
>
>>·make the programs available in any manner to any third party;
>>·use the programs to provide third party training;
>>·assign this agreement or give or transfer the programs or an interest in

> them
>
>>to another individual or entity;
>>·cause or permit reverse engineering or decompilation of the programs;
>>·disclose results of any program benchmark tests without our prior

> [...]

You can develop/prototype. Look into it. Get used to it. Taste it. Get acquainted.

But as soon as you start thinking about marketing and/or selling, you need a license.

So, go ahead and build a system, using forms. But don't use it for anything else than prototyping, or you need a developer's licence.
Forms runtime is licence free (guess they pay that out of the rdbms license), for as long as the client/ server model is supported

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel