Re: Web access: Enterprise vs. Standard Edition

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: 14 Feb 2003 15:07:10 GMT

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in news:3E4C2E42.6C81CF86_at_exesolutions.com:

> Chuck wrote:
>
>> Harry Boswell <hboswel1_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in
>>
>> > WE are being told by our sales rep that you must use Enterprise
>> > Edition if you are allowing access to your Oracle databases via web
>> > applications. I can't find anything definitive on Oracle's
>> > website. Is this true?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Harry Boswell
>> >

>> Yes, and you'd better hold onto something when you find out what it's
>> going to cost. If even one user access data served by an Oracle
>> database over the web (they don't even need to connect directly to
>> the database), you must switch to power unit pricing which is not in
>> alignment with any other database vendor on the planet.
>
> What do you mean by yes?

I mean that we have been told the same thing.

    	(a) you must switch to EE
    	(b) you must use the outrageous power unit pricing.

>The database no means of knowing that a connection is to the web or a
> client machine.

Doesn't matter what the database knows. If you get caught serving data to web users directly or indirectly from Oracle with SE and not paying PU pricing, you will be in violation of your license. This is what our reps told us two years ago which changed us from what would have been a 100% oracle shop to an oracle free shop. We will have no Oracle in our shop at all in 5 years. I'd ask if Larry were listening but I'm already sure he isn't and for many companies like us it's already too late anyway. We can run the same databases we're running now on DB2 for less than 2/3 the cost, and those that would have been serving web users for less than 1/5 the cost. Received on Fri Feb 14 2003 - 09:07:10 CST