Re: Metalink for developers?

From: Bill Lucas <Homebrew42_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:30:02 GMT

"Andy Hassall" <andy_at_andyh.co.uk> wrote in message news:r6co4vkt4ae84u6t7ud3h9mgnjr03p18ho_at_4ax.com...
> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:50:52 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Also if you read the license you would know that Oracle does not allow
you to
> >develop in the free download version. That download version is for demo
and
> >evaluation purposes. If you are using it for development you are
technically in
> >violation of the agreement you made with Oracle for the download.
>
> Doesn't look like it says that (at least not now, anyway - has it
changed?)
> (Legalese isn't my first language, though)
>
> "License Rights
> We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use the
> programs only for purposes of developing and prototyping your
applications, and
> not for any other purpose. If you use the applications you develop under
this
> license for any internal data processing or for any commercial or
production
> purposes, or you want to use the programs for any purpose other than as
> permitted under this agreement, you must contact us, or an Oracle
reseller, to
> obtain the appropriate license. We may audit your use of the programs.
> Program documentation is either shipped with the programs, or
documentation may
> accessed online at http://otn.oracle.com/docs.
>
> Ownership and Restrictions
> We retain all ownership and intellectual property rights in the programs.
The
> programs may be installed on one computer only, and used by one person in
the
> operating environment identified by us. You may make one copy of the
programs
> for backup purposes.
>
> You may not:
> ·use the programs for your own internal data processing or for any
commercial
> or production purposes, or use the programs for any purpose except the
> development and prototyping of your applications;
> ·use the applications you develop with the programs for any internal data
> processing or commercial or production purposes without securing an
appropriate
> license from us;
> ·remove or modify any program markings or any notice of our proprietary
rights;
> ·make the programs available in any manner to any third party;
> ·use the programs to provide third party training;
> ·assign this agreement or give or transfer the programs or an interest in
them
> to another individual or entity;
> ·cause or permit reverse engineering or decompilation of the programs;
> ·disclose results of any program benchmark tests without our prior
consent; or,
> ·use any Oracle name, trademark or logo."
>
> --
> Andy Hassall (andy@andyh.co.uk) icq(5747695) (http://www.andyh.co.uk)
> Space: disk usage analysis tool (http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space)

Andy,

That is the same license agreement I went back and read just to make sure. The EULA can be found at
http://otn.oracle.com/software/htdocs/devlic.html?/software/products/oracle8 i/htdocs/winsoft.html DA Morgan's warning echoes one I received via private email. We are not trying to be software pirates here, and are perfectly willing to do what it takes to "remain legal". As I read the license agreement you posted it seemed to me that we did have the right to use it for development purposes. There seems to be some confusion on the issue, and I don't really want to cause any problems.

Can anyone clear this matter up? From how the EULA reads it would seem that it is appropriate for our use, and since once you agree to the EULA it takes you straight to a download page I can't see how they expect anyone to know that that is for evaluation purposes. Besides if it were wouldn't they time limit the software's functionality? I know they have lots of other products that are time limited.

Regards,
Bill Received on Fri Feb 14 2003 - 07:30:02 CST