Re: Oracle Initialisation slowness

From: Ms. D.H. Harvey <qq45_at_liverpool.ac.uk>
Date: 14 Feb 2003 11:56:57 GMT

,DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote: : Hoang C wrote:

:> Make sure you don't use much swap space. Use physical memory and configure
:> share/sem correctly as in manual
:> Regards,
:> CH
:> "julius99" <member24503_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message
:> news:2524180.1045140969_at_dbforums.com...
:> >
:> > Hi,
:> >
:> > I work with Oracle7 Serveur Release 7.3.4.0.0
:> > My OS is UNIX SCO
:> > I am a newbie with Oracle configuration
:> > At the beginning all work very well.
:> > But now, when i run "svrmgrl" or "sqlplus", it take 5 mins to launch
:> > I see this :
:> > $svrmgrl
:> >
:> > Oracle Server Manager Release 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
:> > Copyright ...
:> >
:> > and it is here that the program is slow because i must wait 5
:> > minutes to see :
:> > Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.4.0.0 - Production
:> > ..
:> > SVRMGR>
:> >
:> > I have the same problem when i want exit this program (wait of 2
:> > minutes)
:> >
:> > Anyone know why oracle is suddently too slow ??
:> >
:> > --
:> > Posted via http://dbforums.com

: In addition I would strongly urge you to get a copy of Oracle, and an
: operating system, that have been sold in the last decade. This software is
: Paleolithic and is not a good place to be studying either. Anything less
  than
: 8.1.7.4 makes little sense.

: Daniel Morgan

Whilst I fully agree with Daniel think your problem with 7.3.4 may be due to tracing. If memory serves even if init param oracle_trace_enable is false for the database tracing is on by default for said version. So, check this is false and then look in $ORACLE_HOME/otrace/admin. Are files process.dat, regid.dat and collect.dat continually growing? If yes, then shutdown, mv otrace otrace.hold and startup again should sort out the problem.

Helen Received on Fri Feb 14 2003 - 05:56:57 CST