Re: Determine number of blocks above HWM and below HWM

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 13 Feb 2003 21:44:55 -0800

In article <3E4C80FA.262E0E6F_at_exesolutions.com>, DA says...

>Bill & Mary Border wrote:
>
>> I think I know what you are asking. Download
>> "orastat" from http://dbamon.com/orastat and
>> run "orastat -dh".
>>
>> "Akin S. Walter-Johnson III" <asjohns_at_uchicago.edu> wrote in message
>> > Anyone knows how to determine number of blocks above and below the High
>> > water mark, and if so
>> > how can I reset the HWM.
>> >

>I'm not interested in whether some tool written by some person is reporting
>some value next to some label. I am asking how can there be a block above the
>HWM? It goes against my entire understanding of the concept behind HWM.
>
>Howard, Tom, Jonathan, Richard ... any help here? Thanks.
>
>Daniel Morgan

Well, if the OP was running 9i, it could be above the LOW high water mark, and not above the HIGH high water mark.

BTW, I'm not kidding. There are now two high water marks. Blocks above the low high water mark may or may not be formatted by Oracle, and blocks above the high high water mark definitely aren't, IIRC the definition correctly. However, I suspect the OP doesn't mean this and is simply confused about the meaning of the high water mark.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Thu Feb 13 2003 - 23:44:55 CST