Re: Crystal reports, synonyms, views and Security

From: Simon Dobner <sdobner_at_scu.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:36:49 +1100

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 05:59:39 +0000, Andrew Allen wrote:

> The problem is the synonyms. Get rid of the synonyms.
I can't do that ( or add new grants) without screwing up the application security. The grants, roles and synoyms are managed and controlled within the application, and it's really sensitive - I've killed my test database more than once trying various things and working out how it hangs together.

> It seems that the
> designer of your database went overboard in the number of layers of
> 'insulation' he placed between the users and the data.

Yeah, I don't think this one would pass Tom Kytes 'there is always a simple solution' test.

Fortunately I discovered how to make Crystal reports behave the way I want it to, so for future reference, here it is

You can remove the reference to the owner, leaving only the table name in the report.

This is done by opening the report in the Crystal Report Designer.

  1. From the menu bar select Database | Set Location. 2. In the text box which contains the "owner.table", remove the owner prefix and leave only the table name.
  2. Do this for all tables in the main report and any subreports.
  3. Save the report.

Now when you connect to the report the database name used with the connection parameter is used.

SD Received on Thu Feb 13 2003 - 15:36:49 CST