Re: Implementing Archiving of Redo logs

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 04:46:54 +1100

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:48:53 +0200, James wrote:

> Hi there
> Can someone please tell me the steps involved in implementing archiving of
> transactional logs on a Oracle 9 server running on windows. thanks
> James

  1. Edit init.ora (or use 'alter system...scope=spfile' commands if you're using an SPFILE). Set LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST=C:\somewhere. Set LOG_ARCHIVE_START=TRUE.
  2. Shutdown your database, cleanly (immediate will do, but not abort)
  3. Startup MOUNT
  4. Alter database archivelog;
  5. Alter database open;

And that's it. Do some alter system switch logfile commands, and check your archiving destination. You should see some files: if so, it's working.

And that's archiving 101... things can get an AWFULly lot more complicated, like you wouldn't believe. And I'd be here till Christmas if I were to try and explain it all.

So you should visit tahiti.oracle.com and start reading the very extensive backup and recovery document where it's all spelt out in excruciating detail!

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Feb 13 2003 - 11:46:54 CST