Re: Total oracle newbie

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:24:12 +1000

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:pan.2003.02.10.18.33.34.598334_at_yahoo.com.au...
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:55:17 +0000, Jeff wrote:
>
> > In article <BfY0a.42930$jM5.108466_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, "Howard J.
Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> >>Rather than the O/S, what you want is to avoid like the plague any
> >>instructor who starts plodding through the course material, rather than
> >>telling it like it is.
> >
> > Well, that's a real trick, isn't it? Especially for a newbie.
> >
> > "Uh, excuse me, I know practically nothing about Oracle, but I think
you're
> > following the course material too closely. Could you either tell it
like it
> > is or bring in another instructor?" ;-)
>
> Well, when ringing up to purchase the training, ask the salesman 'do you
> have more than one DBA instructor at your training centre/site?' If no,
> you don't have a lot of choice. But if yes, ask the next question 'could
> you tell me the assessment averages for each of your DBA instructors for
> the last quarter?' And go for the instructor with the highest average.
>
> Or ask 'would it be possible to see some of the previous students'
> comments about each instructor?' When there's a plodder doing the
> training, prior students are usually quick to comment on it.
>
> Since you're about to be parting with several thousand dollars, there
> should be no harm in assessing the quality of the training staff in this
> way, and making it clear you want to go to a course taught by the best
> they've got.
>
> It's also been known for a student to sign up to a course taking a chance
> on who they will eventually get as an instructor, and staying in the
> training room until the first morning tea; at which point you approach the
> training centre administrative staff making it clear you wish to leave
> and come back on a day when the current instructor is not teaching.
> And if that seems too rude, develop a diplomatic migraine:
> you don't forfeit your money.

Hi Howard,

I generally agree with your comments. People pay good money to attend training and deserve value for money.

One point I would make though is this. I know that the "instructor" I was when I started at Oracle was a completely, utterly different beast from the instructor I was when I left. I also know that generally the first time I taught a new course (especially a new features course where my experience with the material may only be a few months of squeezing in same "play" when I could) the standard was nothing like it was after I had sufficient time and experience to *really know* what I was teaching.

So some (probably most) instructors are not unlike a nice bottle of red. A bit 'young' and sharp at first but quite smooth and mature when the appropriate aging process has taken it's course. I somewhat pity the poor buggers I taught in the early days but it would have been a bit of a shame if I wasn't given the chance to improve.

And I agree with you that a good solution is to give the instructors sufficient time to prep and not continually push those utilisation rates ...

Cheers

Richard Received on Thu Feb 13 2003 - 08:24:12 CST