Re: Oracle/Linux Server Configuration

From: alaxsxaq <member24849_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:08:43 +0000

Thanks for your thoughts.
Oh, sure, either Redhat AS 2.1 or SuSE SLES7 is certified. As for the choice of hardware/OS. Tru64 is pretty much a dead platform, isn't it? The Alpha chip will have one more release according to my sysadmin and the OS will get molded into whatever HP comes out with next. When I look at the alternatives, I see Sun having troubles, and IBM talking about doing away with AIX in favor of Linux. We're not fans of HP, so I'm not really paying much attention to their server offerings, though I understand that the future HP servers will be Intel Itanium-based. At this point, if I decided that I couldn't put together a Linux configuration that was viable for this system, I'd lean toward Sun in spite of the long-term uncertainty and expense - for the next five years, I don't see that much risk.
There is another consideration that is important to a small organization seeking to cut costs. All the other servers are Dell/Linux, and we have staff OS and hardware support for that platform. While I have a sysadmin who knows our current Tru64/Solaris (app servers) environment, I think it will be easier for us to afford to hire a new sysadmin, should that be necessary, for a pure Linux environment than for a Solaris/Linux environment.
However, this change has to meet two important criteria: